Block size study


One of my favorite quilt artists is Carolyn Friedlander. She has some lovely designs and is a skillful quilter.

I really like her Sessoms pattern. Over the past month, I have put together three versions of this quilt with a variation in block size. My sewing machine is not really the best for the intricate quilting she does, but I was able to at least do the piecing. For colors, I attempted to use the same general color scheme used in her post about the pattern.

We had a rare sunny day this past weekend, and I was able to take the photo below of the three. The quilts are all largish crib size (~50" on a side). The quilt on the left has the approximate block size recommended in the original pattern (5.5"). I decreased the block size by 1.5" on the next two quilts (4" and 2.5") .


From the picture, you can see that my color layout was not terrific. I am also surprised to see that the larger block works well, and is probably my favorite of the three. The quilt with the smallest block size was the most difficult to quilt (a modified version of stitching in the ditch).






Comments

Popular Posts